Building Foundational Reading, Writing, Math, and Science Skills
Calvert Learning’s accredited 1st Grade curriculum continues to build on and add to skills students learned in Kindergarten. Over the course of the year, students will develop into increasingly independent readers, writers, and critical thinkers.
Using our detailed Lessons, students will be guided as they:
- Develop a fuller range of phonics, comprehension, vocabulary, spelling, and fluency skills.
- Express ideas in their own words through projects and writing opportunities woven throughout the curriculum.
- Build a stronger foundation in math skills and concepts using research-based math methods.
- See our country’s past come alive with read-aloud narratives about well-known explorers, political figures, inventors, and leaders in American life.
- Investigate how light helps us see and sound travels over distance.
Calvert Learning provides an engaging experience for 1st Graders to learn virtually
Created for schools to guide students in a virtual or blended learning setting, Calvert curriculum includes:
- Best-of-class texts and online resources from top education publishers.
- Lesson Manuals with daily lesson plans and step-by-step instructions.
- An online learning platform, the Calvert Teaching Navigator, that provides 24/7 access to texts, manuals, interactive activities, assessments, progress tracking tools, attendance and more.
Calvert Learning offers curriculum to schools in 2 formats
First grade curriculum is available in a Digital + Print Experience or Digital Experience. With the Digital + Print Experience, students will have access to online lessons with multimedia, interactive activities and assessments IN ADDITION to printed textbooks, workbooks and reading materials that complement learning. With our Digital Experience, students have access to the same texts and materials via e-textbooks and digital downloads.
Calvert's 1st Grade Courses Include:
English Language Arts
Students gain independence in reading, learn more sight words, and become more adept at distinguishing vowel sounds. They write a narrative about their favorite day and create a persuasive poster about their favorite treat.
Students continue learning addition and subtraction—now with two digit numbers. They explore measurement, charts, graphs, time, money, and solid shapes. Students learn concepts by creating a 3D cake design.
First graders investigate, analyze and interpret data, construct explanations and design solutions to demonstrate grade-level proficiency. Students learn to predict movement pattern of objects in the sky and then compare the sky where they live to that of students around the world.
This course introduces beginning economics and good citizenship. By interviewing a family member, students come to understand how our country has changed over time. They learn about the many uses of maps by making a “Personal Atlas to My Life.”
In this digital format course, young learners focus on ways to be more active. Topics of study include exercise safety, nutrition, and the values of cooperation and teamwork. Students learn age-appropriate motor, non-locomotor, and manipulative skills.
In this digital format course, first graders develop a basic understanding of the aspects of health. Topics of study include personal safety, nutrition, communication, disease prevention, basic anatomy, and physiology.