Making Meaningful Connections Across Subjects
In 5th Grade, students will begin to draw meaningful connections between American History, Literature, and Geography as they read texts ranging from the Newbery award-winning Hatchet to the illustrated Explorers of North America.
With our detailed lessons, 5th-grade students will:
- Continue to develop strong writing skills, composing a short story, op-ed, narrative, and explanatory texts.
- Develop literary analysis skills while exploring themes, characters, setting, and conflict in texts chosen to engage your child’s imagination.
- Explore how the Earth’s geosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere, and biosphere interact.
- Investigate the history of the U.S. and his/her home state from Reconstruction through the modern era.
- Continue developing a strong number-sense, mental-math and problem-solving skills while learning to multiply two-digit numbers, practicing long division, and working with decimals and fractions.
Calvert Learning provides an engaging learning experience for students
Created for schools to guide students in a virtual or blended learning setting, Calvert curriculum includes:
- Quality texts and online resources from top education publishers.
- Lesson Manuals with daily lesson plans and step-by-step instructions.
- An online learning platform, the Calvert Teaching Navigator, that provides 24/7 access to texts, manuals, interactive activities, assessments, progress tracking tools, and more.
Calvert Learning offers curriculum to schools in 2 formats
Fifth grade is available in a Digital + Print Experience or in a Digital Experience. With the Digital + Print Experience, students will have access to online lessons with multimedia, interactive activities and assessments IN ADDITION to printed textbooks, workbooks and reading materials that complement learning. With our Digital Experience, students have access to the same texts and materials via e-textbooks and digital downloads.
Calvert's 5th Grade Courses Include:
English Language Arts
Students prepare for the rigor of Middle School by studying complex sentence structure and reading challenging non-fiction. They write their own sci-fi narrative and choose a topic for an opinion piece about issues that impact their community.
Math introduces students to multiplying two-digit numbers by two digit numbers, practicing long division with and without remainders, adding subtracting, and multiplying unlike fractions and mixed numbers, working with decimals, graphing on a coordinate plane, and calculating the volume of solid figures.
Students carry out investigations, design solutions, and generate fact-based opinions using observation and data analysis. This year, learners develop a plan to decrease air pollution.
This year’s focus is on our nation’s growth after the Civil War—through World War I, World War II, and the Cold War and into the Modern Era. Students create interactive virtual exhibits to show their state’s history.
Art & Picture Study
In this online course, 5th grade artists explore contour, naturalism, and linear perspectives. In addition, students study paintings from ancient Egypt through the modern art movement.
In this online course, students are required to participate in regular physical activities. The focus is on warm-up and cool down, water safety, goal setting, nutrition, muscle strength, and flexibility.