Becoming a More Independent Reader; Exploring Our Planet and U.S. History
Our 2nd Grade curriculum fully immerses students into the world of independent reading.
With our detailed Lessons, second graders will be guided as they:
- Deepen their love of reading and writing through engaging texts and writing activities.
- Explore the earth’s surface, the plant and animal world, and the characteristics of matter through hands-on science projects, investigations, and virtual labs.
- Learn about our nation’s history, indigenous peoples, and government.
- Continue developing a strong number-sense as well as mental-math and problem-solving skills using research-based methods.
Calvert Learning provides an engaging learning experience for students
Created for schools to guide students in a virtual or blended learning setting, Calvert curriculum includes:
- Quality texts and online resources from top education publishers.
- Lesson Manuals with daily lesson plans and step-by-step instructions.
- An online learning platform, the Calvert Teaching Navigator, that provides 24/7 access to texts, manuals, interactive activities, assessments, progress tracking tools, and more.
Calvert Learning offers curriculum to schools in 2 formats
Second grade is available in a Digital + Print Experience or a Digital Experience. With the Digital + Print Experience, students will have access to online lessons with multimedia, interactive activities and assessments IN ADDITION to printed textbooks, workbooks and reading materials that complement learning. With our Digital Experience, students have access to the same texts and materials via e-textbooks and digital downloads.
Calvert's 2nd Grade Courses Include:
English Language Arts
Grade 2 students add more sight words and increase fluency by studying additional vowel sounds, blends, and suffixes. Learners use their skills when interviewing a community leader and then writing a biography about him or her.
Second graders study 3-digit numbers, addition and subtraction to 1000, mental Math, data collection, money, time, and shapes. Engaging projects include conducting a plant growth experiment and organizing a fundraising event.
Second graders identify and perform guided investigations about the properties of matter to create a matter scavenger hunt and use engineering principles to design a solution to prevent or slow natural erosive processes that changes the shape of the land.
Students study Native Americans and how the United States transitioned to a land of immigrants. Students will also learn about the U.S. government, economics and trade concepts. Learning is made fun by creating a travel guide of favorite places and making a plan to earn and save money.
Art & Picture Study
This online course explores drawing techniques, perspective, and color theory and includes the discussion and analysis of famous works of art.
Physical Education focuses on how to become more fit and healthy. In this online course, children learn about warm-up and cool down, water safety, goal setting, nutrition, muscle strength, and flexibility, and are required to participate in regular physical activity.