Deepening Your Child’s Understanding Across Subject Areas
Meteorologist. Map-maker. Storyteller. Citizen. Calvert’s accredited 3rd Grade curriculum invites your child to “live the lessons” while exploring the world through Science, Social Studies, English Language Arts, and Math.
With our detailed Lessons as their guide, third graders will:
- Explore the elements of narrative through the fables, folktales, and myths of diverse cultures.
- Understand how geography informs how we live by studying different regions and cultures of the U.S.
- Study our three branches of government and the meaning of citizenship
- Apply basic economic concepts in engaging projects.
- Develop logical reasoning and engineering design skills while investigating the principles of force and motion and the life cycles of plants.
Continuing to build math skills learned in 2nd Grade, students will work with fractions, two-step word problems, multiplication, and shapes.
Calvert Learning provides an engaging learning experience for students
Created for schools to guide students in a virtual or blended learning setting, Calvert curriculum includes:
- Quality texts and online resources from top education publishers.
- Lesson Manuals with daily lesson plans and step-by-step instructions.
- An online learning platform, the Calvert Teaching Navigator, that provides 24/7 access to texts, manuals, interactive activities, assessments, progress tracking tools, and more.
Calvert Learning offers curriculum to schools in 2 formats
Third grade is available in a Digital + Print Experience or a Digital Experience. With the Digital + Print Experience, students will have access to online lessons with multimedia, interactive activities and assessments IN ADDITION to printed textbooks, workbooks and reading materials that complement learning. With our Digital Experience, students have access to the same texts and materials via e-textbooks and digital downloads.
See What’s Included >
Calvert's 3rd Grade Courses Include:
English Language Arts
Students read cross-curricular texts to increase subject knowledge and practice complex phonics concepts. They write daily and compose an advertisement about an extreme place to live.
Lessons employ active digital resources such as a digital place-value chart, used with base-ten blocks to model addition and subtraction, and a digital beam balance to practice mental math and estimation. Students learn about angles and lines, polygons, and area and perimeter by designing a wildlife sanctuary.
Virtual labs provide an opportunity for students to practice gathering evidence and defending their claims. The Grade 3 curriculum weaves S.T.E.M. skills into lessons to spark a child’s curiosity about these fields. Students learn about plant and animal reproduction, inheritance, and life cycles by devising a plan to save the bee population.
This year, students develop ideas for helping their communities and starting their own business. Project-based learning helps students grasp the concepts of economics. Students learn about civics by developing and implementing a community service project.
Art & Picture Study
In this online course, budding artists learn drawing skills using lines, light sources, and motion while discussing and analyzing famous works of art.
In this online course, children learn about warm-up and cool down, water safety, goal setting, nutrition, muscle strength and flexibility and are required to participate in regular physical activity.